Allegro is committed to increasing equality and inclusivity within the walls of our studio and in the greater dance industry. Shifts in our language and dress code are important steps for us to take to create a safe environment for dancers of all races.
Attire sheets are provided to dancers upon registration. Questions or input regarding our dress code policies? Give us a call, we're happy to open discussion with you!
These five key points written by our owner and artistic director, Janet Johnson, helps dancers understand the importance of adhering to our dress code policies.
1) Eliminate Visual Distractions: When dancers have a similar dress, there is less focus on comparison of clothing. The teacher is able to clearly see the movements and how each dancer is executing them, creating an environment of excellent instruction for all dancers.
2) Allow the Dancers to Move Freely: Each dress code is chosen per style of class to enable the dancers to focus on their movements.
3) Increase Focus: The act of physically changing into dance clothing is an important transition for younger students. It prepares them for class. Older dancers build from this and establish a mindset to learn, focus, and try their best.
4) Create Cohesiveness: When dancers wear a defined dress code, it creates stronger bonds between classmates as they see themselves as a team, working as individuals, but towards similar goals.
5) Improve Confidence: Dress code puts all dancers on the same page. When students look like dancers, they feel like dancers and it shows in their effort, confidence and enjoyment.
Take a peek at our blog where we share monthly updates, exciting news and events!